Saturday, August 18, 2012

It feels good to be back

It has been about since my last post and that has been too long.  Shin splints are nothing to scoff at, and the rest has really helped.  Today, after a week of stretching a resting my shins, it was time to get back out there.  The weather today was perfect for running.  The skies were overcast which kept the temperature in check.  I wanted to check out a new running route for my run today, so I called up my Dad for a suggestion.  Here is the route. (Click the link for more detailed information!)


View 8-18 run in a larger map

Although you can't tell from the map above, the run began and ended on the levee where St. Charles and Carrollton meet.  Today we ran 3.36 miles in 36:22.  The levee is paved at the top and is a good surface to run on.  I have to tell you, this may become my favorite training route.  Although there isn't any shade, the breeze coming off of the river is a godsend and the views aren't too shabby either. I think I like this route so much because as I can condition myself to run longer, this route will always work and reward me with new sights.  It is possible to run all the way to Baton Rouge if you wanted to.  Today, I was not the only person who had the good idea to get out and get active.  There were joggers, runners, bikers, dog walkers, and even horse riders.  We decided to take it easy today, as I didn't know if my legs were truly back to 100% yet.  Although my shins started out a little tight, they soon loosened up an allowed me to kick it up a little.  One of the reasons that I enjoy this portion of the city, is the industrial feel of it.  Across the river there are various industrial structures and cargo ship loading terminals.





As we ran, I noticed a few things about the people who frequent this levee.  Everyone here seems to be supportive to one another.  At one point I had decided to walk a little bit to assess my shin splints.  As I stopped, a friendly biker shared some word s of encouragement to push me to continue running.  Random words of encouragement from strangers always seems to give you a boost of energy to keep on pushing.  The other reason that I particularly enjoy this route is due to the starting and ending point. For anyone who lives here, you know whats on the corner.  


Cooter Brown's has one of the larger beer selections of all the bars in town.  Running and beer go hand in hand, so ending a run here is perfect.  We didn't stop in today, but I can ensure you that we will be in the future.  

See you on the road!


1 comment:

  1. Not only can you run from this point to Baton Rouge, but also from Baton Rouge to Cooter Brown's.(I speak from experience...OUCH!). Keeep up the great work. See you out here soon. Dad.

    ReplyDelete